The techniques employed when bending pipes and tubes using pipe benders are fairly simple. Although, there is a learning curve to every job, it can be reduced to a great extent by picking up pointers from experienced technicians. The points mentioned below should help you in overcoming obstacles and perfecting the art of pipe bending.
Tips for Pipe Bending When Using a Pipe Bender
Below are some tips form pipe-bending experts, that will help you achieve the perfect bend:
1. When using a hydraulic pipe bender, make sure the sizes of the former and bender roller are precise for the size of the pipe.
2. Since, the pipes are generally secured at one end, measure the length of the pipe, from the center. This will give you an accurate measurement.
3. Practice a few times until you perfect the bending motion. A quick, swift movement will provide you with a smoother bend.
4. Pipes when bent tend to spring back a little. For the perfect amount of bend, it will be imperative for you to over bend the tube. Make sure you calculate the amount of spring back to be expected, and over bend the tube accordingly. It is difficult to unbend an over bent tube. So the percentage of spring back should be calculated precisely.
5. Lighter materials like aluminum and steel tubes tend to crimp when bent. This can easily be avoided by providing a firmer structure to the tubes. The process is to fill the tube with water, and slowly add sand. Gentle tapping of the tube will move the sand inside the tube, forcing the air bubbles to be released. This method cannot be used when bending pipes that produce heat. The heat will convert the water in the pipes to steam, causing the pipes to burst.
When using a tube bender to bend pipes, it is important to pay attention to the details. Bending the tubes the right way will ensure that the pipes last longer and function brilliantly. An incorrectly bent pipe could cost you a lot monetarily, and in terms of output. Hence, employing the correct processes of pipe bending is imperative.