Metal bending is a process, which with the help of plastic deformation, changes the shape of sheet metals and tubes. What is plastic deformation? It is a process in which a material undergoes certain irreversible changes because of the forces applied to it. In certain types of bending such as tube bending and sheet bending, a number of ways can be implemented to deform the metal. Sheet metal is considered to be one of the most versatile metals. This post will explain some safety tips that you need to take into account while using a sheet metal bending machine.
Safety Precautions While Using a Sheet Metal Bending Machine
To get the desired output, and for safe operation, you are required to follow some basic safety norms while using a sheet bending machine. Here are some of the major ones:
- Understand the Machine and its Operation: Have you operated the sheet bending machine before? If not, then you should first get used to it. You should understand the machine, and its operation, before you actually start using it. Get familiar with the functioning of the machine. For this, you can refer to the instruction manual. It would help you understand the machine better, and eliminate any chances of accidents or mishaps during its working. You can also consider taking some training from those who are experienced in handling a sheet bending machine.
- Warm up Machine in Cold Weather: In cold weather, it is often recommended to keep the machine warm. To get the best results, you should always consider warming up the machine for a few minutes before using it. You can do this by setting the machine in motion and allow it to operate for a few minutes. Once, this is done, you are all set to get the best results from the machine. When you warm up the machine, you also eliminate the chances of it getting stressed.
- Hold the Sheet Parallel to the Bender: Placement of the sheet is very important. For a safe operation, you should always hold the sheet at a proper angle. Before you start the bending process, always ensure that the sheet is parallel to the bender. The wrong placement may cause the sheet to hit your body, and cause injury.
- Mind your Hands: You should be careful while operating the bender. When you place the sheet on the bender, you should ensure that your hands are away from getting hurt. Lack of attention can lead to severe accidents, or even permanent injuries.
Some Quick Safety Tips
When you work with a cut sheet metal, it can hurt you. Here are some of the quick safety tips for you to follow for safe operation:
- You should never forget to wear safety gloves. They protect your hands from getting hurt by sharp equipment.
- Always use safety goggles to protect your eyes from fine particles that fly during the bending process.
- Make use of work boots. They prevent any scrap, or pointed material from hurting your feet.
- Avoid running your hands over a sharp cut, even if you are wearing gloves.
- Always ensure that all the burr are filed properly.
- Always keep the work surface clean. Clear all the scrap, as it can pose a risk of injury.
- You should always handle wet metal sheets with utmost care. The wet surfaces contain moisture, which when mixed with dirt and oil can make the surface of the sheet slippery, thus making it hard to hold.
These are some of the most important safety tips that you must follow for a safe sheet metal bending operation. If you want to know more about sheet bending machines, you can get in touch with the experts from Woodward Fab, which is a leading company in sheet metal bending machines.